Level 1 and Level 2
Welcome to Level 1 and 2 at Deepdene Primary School.
We aim to provide a happy, safe and stimulating learning environment which values co-operation and respect for individual differences. Students are encouraged to apply various thinking strategies. Partnership work, co-operative groups, problem solving and the development of independent work habits are emphasised at this level through student centered tasks. Students have the opportunity to develop ICT skills across the curriculum.
Students are provided with many opportunities to enhance Speaking and Listening strategies so that they can interact confidently in spontaneous and structured situations.
Literacy strategies are used in reading and viewing sessions where activities are based on individual needs.
The Writing program covers a variety of text types and students are encouraged to write for a range of purposes. Grammar, spelling and handwriting are incorporated.
In Level 1 and 2 we cover all areas of Mathematics using a hands on approach. The topics include Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry and Statistics and Probability.
The Units of work covered throughout Level 1 and 2 are:
- Beside the Seaside – How do we enjoy the beach?
- Up Above – What is up there?
- On The Move – How do we travel from here to there?
- Wonderful Plants – How do plants grow?
- A Safe, Healthy and Special Me – What will keep my safe and healthy?
- What’s At the Bottom of my Garden?
- Mixing and Moving – How does matter change? / How does force create movement?
- Then and Now – How does the past affect the future?